The Kinlochleven Loop, West Coast of the Scottish Highlands.
This 20 mile stretch of road is fantastic. Many riders report coming back to it again and again to enjoy the incredible views and the bends… ahh the bends!
Stage 1 (13 mins)
- Glencoe – Kinlochleven
Tip: This part of the road has copious amounts of hellishly fun corners so enjoy them, but do look out for other traffic on the roads.
Stage 2 (15 mins)
- Kinlochleven to North Ballachulish (15 mins)
Tip: The tarmac is smoother on this part and there are more tight corners. It’s worth stopping and taking your time to enjoy the breathtaking views. If you’re overtaking, always check your mirrors and don’t cut in too soon – then of course, be prepared to abort if something happens in front e.g. if a car puts their indicator on.
- North Ballachulish to Glencoe (6 mins)
Tip: Take it easy through North and South Ballachulish and keep an eye out for any unexpected hazards (e.g. animals on the road).
- From Glencoe you can either:
- Stop and enjoy some good food or a stay in local accommodation.
- Tackle the same route in the opposite direction (clockwise).
- Head up to the Ardnamurchan Loop, Coastal road.
Recommendations and detours
- Plan for wet roads, high winds, snow – check the forecast so that you know how treacherous the road surface is likely to be.
- There are a few blind corners and summits so keep your concentration up.
- There are plenty of scenic laybys to take a rest stop (and a quick photo) when you need to.
- If you fancy a stop halfway round, there’s a fantastic waterfall called the Grey Mare’s Tail in Kinlochleven, which is an easy walk from the car park.