The Ardnamurchan Loop, West Coast of the Scottish Highlands
At 80 miles long, it’s the perfect definition of what a great bike ride should be – narrow twisties, breathtaking views, and comparatively few visitors. We suggest tackling the road clockwise, starting at Fort William.
Stage 1 (15 mins)
- Fort William – Corran Ferry (A82)
Tip: You can’t book the ferry but there are regular crossings throughout the day. Bike and rider costs £3 for a single crossing.
Stage 2 (45 mins)
- Corran Ferry – Strontian (A861)
Tip: Strontian is a decent place for a pit stop and a rest – there are a few local shops here as well as a petrol station.
Stage 3 (40 mins)
- Strontian – Acharacle (A861)
Tip: There’s a stretch of single track beyond Strontian with a few passing places.
Stage 4 (35 mins)
- Acharacle – Glenuig (A861)
Tip: Following the beautiful shores of Loch Sunart you’ll twist and turn through a bunch of small villages before you reach Glenuig.
Stage 5 (25 mins)
- Glenuig – Lochailort (A861)
Tip: Glenuig is a great place to stop for a bite to eat or an overnight stop. It’s also the start of our birdseye film which follows the coast to Lochailort. Oh and make sure to keep an eye out for seals along the coast!
Stage 6 (1 hr 30 mins)
- Lochailort – Glenfinnan – Corpach – Fort William (A830)
Tip: As your trip comes to an end, it’s worth stopping off at Glenfinnan to catch sight of the monument and the famous viaduct featured in the Harry Potter films. From here, you can take the A830 on to Fort William – visiting Corpach if you’ve got time.
Recommendations and detours
- Keep an eye on the forecast – making sure you’re taking shelter or watching your speed when there’s inclement weather.
- Plan your rest stops. There are too many good restaurants and eateries to miss out on – plus it’s always good to take breaks to avoid fatigue and loss of concentration.
- Tackle the route clockwise – keeping the sun behind you and the easiest roads to the end of the day.
- Past Lochailort, you can take the A830 road up to the beautiful coastal village Arisiag.
- A popular addition to this loop is the 25 mile ride of single track road to Ardnamurchan Point and Sanna.