The Ardnamurchan Loop motorcycle route in the West Coast of the Scottish Highlands
At 80 miles long, it’s the perfect definition of what a great Scottish motorcycle route should be – narrow twisties, breath-taking views, and comparatively few visitors. We suggest tackling the road clockwise, starting at Fort William.
Route stage 1 (15 mins)
- Fort William – Corran Ferry (A82)
Tip: You can’t book the ferry but there are regular crossings throughout the day. Bike and rider costs £3.50 for a single crossing.
Stage 2 (45 mins)
- Corran Ferry – Strontian (A861)
Tip: Strontian is a decent place for a pit stop and a rest – there are a few local shops here as well as a petrol station.
Stage 3 (40 mins)
- Strontian – Acharacle (A861)
Tip: There’s a stretch of single track beyond Strontian with a few passing places.
Stage 4 (35 mins)
- Acharacle – Glenuig (A861)
Tip: Following the beautiful shores of Loch Sunart, you’ll twist and turn through a bunch of small villages before you reach Glenuig. It’s proper Scottish motorcycling.
Stage 5 (25 mins)
- Glenuig – Lochailort (A861)
Tip: Glenuig is a great place to stop for a bite to eat or an overnight stay. It’s also the start of our bird’s eye film that follows the coast to Lochailort. Watching it is a great start to a self-guided motorcycle tour. Oh, and make sure to keep an eye out for seals along the coast!
Stage 6 (1 hr 30 mins)
- Lochailort – Glenfinnan – Corpach – Fort William (A830)
Tip: As your exhilarating Scottish motorcycle trip comes to an end, it’s worth stopping off at Glenfinnan to catch sight of the monument and the famous viaduct featured in the Harry Potter films. From here, you can take the A830 on to Fort William – visiting Corpach if you’ve got time.
Recommendations and detours on the motorcycle route
- Keep an eye on the forecast – make sure you’re taking shelter or watching your speed when there’s inclement Scottish motorbiking weather.
- Plan your rest stops. There are too many good restaurants and eateries to miss out on – plus, it’s always good to take breaks to avoid fatigue and loss of concentration.
- Tackle the route clockwise – keeping the sun behind you and the easiest roads to the end of the day.
- Past Lochailort, you can take the A830 road up to the beautiful coastal village Arisaig.
- A popular addition to this loop is the 25-mile single track road to Ardnamurchan Point and Sanna.
- Enjoy the route at your own pace – particularly after a long period not riding far during COVID-19.